Saturday, September 3, 2011

Escape from Pompeii

No, not the Busch Gardens ride but we did have the hardest time trying to get out/find our way to the preserved bodies of the fugitives.  I tend to get a little frustrated when I take risks like not being back to your car before you have the chance to receive a parking ticket or get towed.  So, I was kind of worked up by the end of our visit trying to run to find the preservation exhibit since it was already 4:30 and that's when our parking meter expired.. We had no ticketing problems, luckily, but it still freaks me out.  Anyway, we found the exhibit, finally.  The place does not have very good signage.  But other than that, it has definitely been my favorite museum-like place to visit.  It is absolutely amazing.  They've uncovered so much, the city was HUGE.  It took us 2 hours to walk around a 3/4 of it.  It is just incredible how all of the ash covered that whole area and has finally been discovered and excavated over the years.  Aunt Donna said when she was here 30 years ago, she remembered only a few things and said it must have grown immensely.  I loved exploring around certain rooms, spaces in the walls, etc.  It was so unbelievably cool; I definitely recommend coming to Pompeii if you ever visit Italy.  I think on Tuesday we're going to see Herculean on our way back up to Rome.

To get to Pompeii we took a rental car; to my relief, we didn't run into any problems until we got to Naples.  Our GPS (Sofia--thanks to Aunt Donna's great naming) did a good job, it was just confusing at the end when she'd say turn left, then right--when it was a roundabout kind of thing.  Mom drove and has a good sense of direction but I still tend to hate not knowing where I am going--something I know I need to work on :)

Tomorrow we are going to Capri... I cannot wait to just sit by the pool and do a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y nothing, except for maybe get a massage and go kayaking if we want to.

I'll put up pictures of Pompeii after dinner!

Ciao!