Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pictures in Valencia --uploaded with WIFI stick!

Good news, we have our WIFI stick! So, we can use our computers/internet in our house.  Since I last updated, the only new thing we've done is gone to class.  I've met all four of my teachers, and they are all great.  They speak clearly for us and I've already learned so many new words or been reminded of certain phrases, etc. I'm definitely improving with my speech and understanding, but it's still not easy.  Tonight, we had an "intercambio" which is an exchange with Spanish speaking people who want to speak English better.  So, while we spoke Spanish, they would respond or ask questions in English.  It was very cool.  I tried to ask as often as possible if I was speaking correctly but it was a little bit harder to ask in a group of people without interrupting the conversation.  Although, a big part of the Spanish culture is to interrupt each other.  While we may think that is rude and you should let a person finish talking, that's not really the case here.  Interruption is a sign of politeness because it shows that you are interested in what they're saying.  Similarly, "interruption" in the streets is normal too;  for example, may Spaniards walk in a horizontal line down the street and do not move for you if you're coming the other way.  You have to fight for your right to walk by another group of people.  I thought this was really interesting.  Also, a BIG thing that is not normal here but is in the US is smiling at strangers when walking down the streets (los calles in Spanish).  Apparently, when you smile at a stranger, a Spaniard will look at you like you are crazy.  The only times you smile is when you know someone or want to begin a conversation.

Anyway, here are only a few pictures of our room and the beach in Valencia.  I haven't been taking lots of pictures yet, but I will get to it!

Buenos noches.

Kitchen

Our room

The beach (La playa)

Beach again :)